17 July 2012

First Cooking Post: Lavender + Spice Roasted Peaches

Ok y'all.  I'm back from a long hiatus.  Traveling, work, and various other distractions have kept me away from writing and enjoying Paris.  Plus, can we talk about the fact that we have yet to really have a summer in France?  Mid-July, and I'm still wearing a jacket and sweaters while running around this city.  Depressing.

Which is what inspired me to make this:


I bought loads of summer fruit to not only boost my complexion, but to boost my spirits.  Nothing says summer more than peaches and strawberries to me, so I stocked our fridge.  Somewhere in Europe they are having summer, because despite the dreary weather, all the fruits have been delicious.

I might have gotten a little too carried away, because I bought a full bag of peaches.  And they got ripe super quick.  Crap.  If anything could be more heartbreaking than wearing a sweater in July, it would be wasting such beautiful peaches.  So I roasted those suckers in the oven, with some brown sugar, lavender, spices and then put some vanilla ice cream on it.  Damn was it good.  When the juices combined with the ice cream, it was just heavenly.

I'm not sure if the best part was the taste or the fact that it literally took less than 10 minutes to throw it all together and fling in the oven while I ate dinner with the hubby.  Both probably.

Lavender + Spice Roasted Peaches
serves 4 people
Prep Time: <10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
6 barely ripe peaches, halved and pits removed
1/4 cup (55 g) light brown sugar, not packed
1 teaspoon all-spice 
2 pinches of lavender buds (I got mine at Whole Foods)

Preheat your oven to 185 degrees C (365 degrees F).  In a clear glass baking dish, arrange your halved peaches.  Sprinkle brown sugar, spices and lavender buds on the peaches.  Slide in the oven and bake 30 minutes or until peaches are soft and skin is starting to wrinkle.  Serve warm, making sure to spoon the juices on the bottom of the pan onto the peaches, and with vanilla ice cream.  

1 comment:

  1. Nice - I do something similar with thyme - but will have to try the lavender! (and you're right - i love that it's super simple) I also sometimes put a bit of creme fraiche on top after.

    ReplyDelete